FINALLY!!!

Buprenorphine Post
peterorrin

Postby peterorrin » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:27 am

I agree with Kevin, big time! I printed out the FINAL RULE (100+pages)..one section deferred to a later date. Worthwhile for those of us who take our bup program seriously. Isnt that everybody here?

cheers,
Peter R.

NoDrugs4u

Postby NoDrugs4u » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:27 am

Yes, but did you read the fine print? Only Board Certified Addictionologists will qualify. That is only a fraction of the physicians who are treating addiction.

And since Osteopathic Physicians currently have no pathway to certification, they are essentially screwed!

fishdoc

Postby fishdoc » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:27 am

Actually, it seems to me that there will be little or no change in the number treated as many docs who qualify will not participate in the increased number because of the increased requirements.

For example some of the requirements include the following:

"Providing professional coverage for patient medical emergencies during hours when the practitioners practice is closed." I****ume this means being on a hospital staff.

"Uses health information technology (health IT) systems such as electronic health records.

"Accepts third-party payment for costs in providing health services, including written billing, credit, and collection policies and procedures, or Federal health benefits."

Let's be honest; most of us make more money seeing 100 patients on a cash basis than we would seeing 275 on Medicaid payments.
I personally would not want to nearly triple my work and add expenses for less pay; I doubt I am alone in this.

Doctors in southern Ohio, Virginia and Pennsylvania have told me they are seeing increased numbers patients from Kentucky and West Virginia after these 2 states began requiring third party payment acceptance because doctors in those 2 states stopped buprenorphine prescribing.

While the increased limit with similar increased requirements will not force docs out of treating addicts, the additional work for less pay will certainly prevent many from increasing their numbers.

Once again the government has found a way to appear to be doing the right thing while in actuality all they are really doing is taking more control of the practice of medicine and finding ways to limit payments to doctors.

Bruni

Postby Bruni » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:27 am

The Final Rule is published in the Federal Register online at:
https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2016-07-08/pdf/2016-16120.pdf

Return to “Clinical Use of Buprenorphine”