How to handle an anonymous call regarding a patien

Buprenorphine Post
robertsonjon

Postby robertsonjon » Wed May 18, 2016 9:19 am

I think an anonymous tip or not having buprenorphine or its metabolites in a drug screen are the 2 reasons to justify a pill count.

I am finding, unfortunately, that my clinic has been doing pill counts on about 20 patients per week, and terminating about 17 or 18 per week for not making it, or not being reachable. I am trying to fix this, but welcome comments on how appropriate this seems.

entjwb

Postby entjwb » Wed May 18, 2016 9:19 am

Thanks, I didn't not tell the caller she was a patient. I just thanked her. I have discussed and of course she has denied. Thanks for the input.

drpasser

Postby drpasser » Wed May 18, 2016 9:19 am

First, without a signed release of information from the pt, I always tell the caller that I cannot confirm or deny if the person they are calling about, is my pt.

Second, I tell the caller, he or she can tell me anything they want. That is not a HIPPA restriction. I do not give out any info about the pt. Then, I discuss the call c the pt.

I would say, maybe about half the time, the call is about nonsense. The other half of the time, there's something to it.
Hopes this helps.

Best,
Kevin

DrBallester

Postby DrBallester » Wed May 18, 2016 9:19 am

I have discussed the situation with my patient and then verified compliance and toxicology reports from the lab.

One time the Narcotics Officers came to my office because my ex-patient was recorded on the PBM call stating that she was waiting to get her prescription to sell it to an eagerly waiting customer! The pharmacy also had video surveillance documenting the diversion.

I don't want to falsely accuse or take unwarranted actions based on tips/rumors/gossip, but sadly sometimes there is some truth to the accusations.

Return to “Clinical Use of Buprenorphine”