How to handle an anonymous call regarding a patien

Buprenorphine Post
robertsonjon

Postby robertsonjon » Wed May 18, 2016 9:19 am

quote:
Originally posted by Bruni

Besides which, "discharge patient" is a doctor's order, or at least it used to be. Does the office manager tell the patient that the doctor said 'you're discharged' or does the office manager tell the patient 'I am discharging you'?

Good point, the letters she sends discharging are from me, I put a stop to that.

entjwb

Postby entjwb » Wed May 18, 2016 9:19 am

Robertsonjon, I went not a practice with another physician. I consulted an attorney who helped to set up to meet or exceed state and federal guidelines. I actually interview every potential patient to discuss the program, costs, what they are responsible to do and review their OARRS report for controlled substances they may have prescribed for them. I discuss what is acceptable and what isn't. I think we have better patients who are more motivated to obtain recovery. We both left patients at the other clinic that we didn't want in our new practice. It takes some time but decreases headaches.

robertsonjon

quote:
Originally posted by drpasser

There's a conflict of interest. I would find it difficult to work at a place where the manager works at cross purposes. He or she could sabotage the process, even unwittingly. I am sure, the pts at your clinic, come to see you, not the office manager, am I right?
It's an untenable situation. IMO.

:-)

You're absolutely right. I don't own the clinic, and am hesitant to go out on my own, i don't want the additional headaches, but it seems it will be in the best interest of my patients to go ahead.

Bruni

Postby Bruni » Wed May 18, 2016 9:19 am

Besides which, "discharge patient" is a doctor's order, or at least it used to be. Does the office manager tell the patient that the doctor said 'you're discharged' or does the office manager tell the patient 'I am discharging you'?

kcairns

Postby kcairns » Wed May 18, 2016 9:19 am

Clinic I work smart and humane..don't kick people off for wrong reasons.. Clinic and I
agree...otherwise not for me

drpasser

Postby drpasser » Wed May 18, 2016 9:19 am

There's a conflict of interest. I would find it difficult to work at a place where the manager works at cross purposes. He or she could sabotage the process, even unwittingly. I am sure, the pts at your clinic, come to see you, not the office manager, am I right?
It's an untenable situation. IMO.

:-)

robertsonjon

quote:
Originally posted by entjwb

Jon, are these items covered in you treatment agreement with the patient? I cover all the aspects I could think of in mine. The patient reads and initials each item not just sign the agreement. My patients understand, or should, the acceptable and unacceptable things. I firmly believe they should know these things from the start.

i don't know whose patients they are, tricky legal stuff there. The treatment contract says they can be discharged for failure to comply with a pill count, but I would prefer we only pill count patients when there's reason to suspect diversion. Unfortunately, the office manager has a very negative view of addiction patients.

Bruni

Postby Bruni » Wed May 18, 2016 9:19 am

quote:
Originally posted by drpasser

First, without a signed release of information from the pt, I always tell the caller that I cannot confirm or deny if the person they are calling about, is my pt.

Respectfully, I would suggest that the very act of taking the time to listen to an anonymous call about a named person implies that one knows the client (and would therefore be HIPAA-compliance-uncertain). For example, my new home phone number was previously listed for Mr Chen. I get rare calls asking for that person. If I were to say "Go ahead" when the caller asked for Mr Chen, the caller would be justified in thinking that I knew Mr Chen. What I usually say is "I don't know that person, and I have had this phone number for two years".

entjwb

Postby entjwb » Wed May 18, 2016 9:19 am

Jon, are these items covered in you treatment agreement with the patient? I cover all the aspects I could think of in mine. The patient reads and initials each item not just sign the agreement. My patients understand, or should, the acceptable and unacceptable things. I firmly believe they should know these things from the start.

drpasser

Postby drpasser » Wed May 18, 2016 9:19 am

Your clinic does pill counts and terminates pts?
They are not your pts?

I wouldn't work anywhere, unless I had complete control over when my pts are terminated.

Best,
Kevin

Return to “Clinical Use of Buprenorphine”