Managing Constipation; Relistor

Buprenorphine Post
jm52716

Postby jm52716 » Mon May 09, 2016 9:12 am

I have never needed to use anything other than the combination of Senokot and Colace to manage the constipation caused by buprenorphine. Maximum dose of 4 pills bid each, but I have never needed to go that high.

m_kaylor

Postby m_kaylor » Mon May 09, 2016 9:12 am

I've used movantik twice and both times induced opiate withdrawal

NoDrugs4u

Postby NoDrugs4u » Mon May 09, 2016 9:12 am

Yes, compchat57, I think this forum is "robofiltered", no one has ever heard from a moderator on here.

Obviously we physicians cannot be trusted to filter our own language.....

compchat57

Postby compchat57 » Mon May 09, 2016 9:12 am

OMG,

A S S is filtered. The word filtered was A S Signed

compchat57

Postby compchat57 » Mon May 09, 2016 9:12 am

You old school docs should really try the newer meds with your patients. They generally work without all the cramping and diarrhea.

I'm not talking about the impacted 90 y/o that requires digital dis-impaction (this job when I was in school was****igned to the medical student who allowed it to happen).

Also amitiza is thought to heal gut mucosa thus allowing some patients to stop it and continue with normal (for them) bowel habits.

Miralax and fleets enemas, IMHO, no longer are needed for otherwise healthy adults. Instead of healing the gut these treatments make the gut more dependent on laxatives.

drpasser

Postby drpasser » Mon May 09, 2016 9:12 am

Many of my pts effectively control their constipation c 2 Colace-generics-BID.
:-)

DrBallester

Postby DrBallester » Mon May 09, 2016 9:12 am

Movantik would be a better treatment option, more likely to be covered for a patient on MAT.

Relistor is an injection, fewer patients will embrace that mode of therapy.

NoDrugs4u

Postby NoDrugs4u » Mon May 09, 2016 9:12 am

I'm a bending-forward type of guy, too. And a little Colace daily doesn't hurt. :-)

(I don't think that I could make myself make poo on the floor like a puppy, but whatever works for you)

fishdoc

Postby fishdoc » Mon May 09, 2016 9:12 am

Squatty Potty sold at Target, Bed Bath and Beyond, etc. approximately $24.99. It was originally on Shark Tank. I have both seen and used it.

kcairns

Postby kcairns » Mon May 09, 2016 9:12 am

well needed practice anyway for on the trail as engagingly described by Cheryl Strayed in "wild" who also is curious about the benefits her occasional heroin use might have brought her

Return to “Clinical Use of Buprenorphine”