Encouraging more docs to manage addiction?

Buprenorphine Post
NoDrugs4u

Postby NoDrugs4u » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:56 pm

Well, I envoked the Devil when I wrote my post above. Sure enough got a call from the clinic where I work that the DEA was there "looking for you". They said they would be back the next Friday that I worked. Then they said to call them and schedule a visit to my private office instead. They inspected the clinic but wanted more paperwork. After I had spent time making sure all of my records were in order and ready for presentation, the morning of the visit in my private office the agent calls and cancels due to an "office meeting". This is after I rescheduled patients and with this late notice could not fill the time. He then proceeded to ask the clinic to send all of their records for stocking/dispensing the meds to his office and he would review them there. Then said he needed to make another clinic visit to check on 'security'. Then he tells the clinic that he can't figure out the stock/dispensing records that they sent him and, get this, didn't know the difference between Suboxone and Subutex. I will repeat that to be clear - the DEA Agent inspecting the clinic did not know the difference between Suboxone and Subutex!

He has yet to contact me to reschedule my private office visit, which means that I will once again have to reschedule patients. So I would say that the Inspections have NOT been "benign" at all, but rather a huge Pain In the Azz! I certainly understand why more doctors do not want to get involved with the x-license.

I know that I am preaching to the choir here, but dammit this policy needs to be stopped, Inspect the bastards who are writing the narcs - not the ones treating them!!!

MChaplin

Postby MChaplin » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:56 pm

I agree that the visits are benign enough- BUT they do discourage people and they send a negative message about the process...

peterorrin

Postby peterorrin » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:56 pm

No sword here.. DEA inspections are benign & nothing to worry about...'it is what it is.' Record-keeping has become part of our 'muscle memory." Another field of medicine that could approach following an OUD through recovery is obstetrics!

Peter Rostenberg
New Fairfield, CT

NoDrugs4u

Postby NoDrugs4u » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:56 pm

Ditto, MChaplin! Even if you are a good doctor it is still feeling like the Sword of Damocles is always hanging over my head.

MChaplin

Postby MChaplin » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:56 pm

well getting rid of the DEA agent visits would help- although they are nothing to be afraid of if you are keeping appropriate records, they are very intimidating to even very good doctors- why do bup prescribers face DEA scrutiny and not oxy prescribers when bup accounts for a tiny fraction of opioid OD deaths and a huge number of preventions??? I think some doc avoid getting certified because they figure they just don't want the hassle....

Return to “Clinical Use of Buprenorphine”