Patient cap being lifted?

Buprenorphine Post

Postby Dave » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:25 am

The federal government is not really interested in helping its citizens. It is primarily devoted to its self-interest, retaining its power, and remaining as our rulers, not as our representatives. There is considerable profit in the illegal drug trade, which is why the ineffective War on Drugs will continue forever. The last thing they would consider is increasing the limit of the number of patients permitted outside the illegal trade.

Postby adavid » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:25 am

Lifting the 100 or limit will have no effect on OD rates. For several years there has been an overabundance of Bup prescribers in SW PA. There are offices that have same day appointments. The only pt who are still having a little delay in finding a spot is those on welfare who cannot afford a cash clinic. Still the OD rate is going up each year

Postby kcairns » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:25 am

kinda heard word from CSAT that it is going to take a long time mainly to resolve issue of how to separate ethical practice from pillmills...but in view of bup being so safe and cdc just reporting opioid od rates hit record numbers in 2014, again makes you wonder who will be last one to die while those in charge go on parsing such out... "where have all the young girls gone?...

Postby rac1210 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:25 am

Ignorance is the proper word that should be used for this ridiculous 100 patient limit. We are losing patients because of the stupidity of our federal government and regulatory agencies!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby kcairns » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:25 am

as discussed above all big names keep talking re how important it is to do something while they avert eye contact..our prez can make wars be fought by just saying so but ending rationing of addiction rx apparently not...we keep having people die on our waiting day they will do something and maybe we can honor the names of the last americans to die of od just before the armistice in the war against addiction treaatment

Postby jemerced » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:25 am

I guess this 100 patient limitation for treatment of Opiod addiction is arbitrary. In the beginning the government established this limits because there were no precedence with this new treatment. Years have passed and the limits have not been lifted. Well, imagine if they would impose the same limits for diabetes, hypertension, anxiety and other chronic diseases. In other words 100 patients per disease. Pain management and any other conditions have no limits. This 100 limit is artificial and discriminatory against patients and medical doctors as well. These are the basic facts. Our leaders either don't understand this basic premise or just don't care for either political gain or other mysterious reasons.

Postby sslonim » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:25 am

I know we're not supposed to talk politics here (thankfully!) and I don't mean to. However, there is a great 6 minute video that apparently has gone "viral" (at least on Facebook) - a "town hall" talk by one of the presidential candidates (NJ Gov. Christie) talking about his mom's smoking addiction (and lung cancer) as applies to looking at current "addicts", his belief that ProLife means also caring for people with drug problems, and speaking about a friend of his who "had it all" but got dependent on opiates from a back injury, lost everything and died of an OD. I think things like this are more likely to change people's opinion of need for drug treatment. Hopefully some/many of our legislators will see this and think about it. If you haven't seen it here's a link:

Postby peterorrin » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:25 am

NoDrugs: Can I call you by your first name?

In my area, we primary care docs joke that we are members of the City of Oz Society of Referring Physicians; I do refer patients all the time for all kinds of medical/surgical/psychiatric conditions. What I do I try to do with excellence. When I started buprenorphine I didnt ask all patients to present the office with a urine specimen. Now they all arrive with a full bladder, and I screen, depending. I did not have a counselor either; after failed attempts, a winning counselor was found! Counsel patients now arrive 20 minutes early!! The point is I knew the group dynamic, when properly performed, was essential to the success of this form of treatment...that is recognized by NIDA, others.

Those with certification, and psychiatrists, have a less steep learning curve than I did (even though I am certified, which I originally acquired years ago to perform acute care hospital consults!); they have an edge, but its not a guarantee of a quality program. Those here are curious, knowledgeable, intent on performance improvement. More people will be waived to prescribed. Will they have have guidelines or a standard of care to adhere to?

Postby Dave » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:25 am

Well put, NoDrugs4u, and spot on!

Postby entjwb » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:25 am

I'm not board certified but have taken the required CME to take the exam which I took on Oct 17th. Hopefully I passed. I would like to see everyone put forth the effort to become more knowledgeable regarding the treatment of addiction. We have too many physicians who are seeing dollars not patients with a chronic disease. I know of too many who pretty much only Rx the meds.

Return to “Clinical Use of Buprenorphine”