Any Direct Primary Care (membership) practices?

Buprenorphine Post
BrianPierce

Postby BrianPierce » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:21 am

Our buprenorphine fees, like the rest of the practice, will be sustainable. I intend to attract other physicians to this practice and this business model and that requires an appropriate income and a sane work life.

Direct Primary Care practices like us publish our fees openly. Transparent pricing has lots of advantages for patients and doesn't cause us any problems.

Rockport, Maine

drpasser

Postby drpasser » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:21 am

I don't know about advertising your fees, making them publicly accessible. It's kinda no bodies business what you charge. Decide what you need to charge to feel good about what you're doing, and stick to your guns.

I know, primarily from pts, what others charge. In my area, my charges are less than most, but I think I provide better care. Sorry if that sounds grandiose, it's what pts tell me and what I've come to understand.

As this population is challenging, charge what will allow to maintain a good attitude for what you're doing.

:-)

BrianPierce

Postby BrianPierce » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:21 am

I know what I think is reasonable for my income per hour and per year and what I would need to pay young physicians considering direct primary care, what I need is a better estimate of the time demands of typical growing and stable buprenorphine practices. I'll be meeting a few folks in my area but any estimates from here would be welcome.

So I've been searching the board here trying to get a sense for some of the typical numbers for a practice. My sense is that about 1/3 of the patients who enter a program will drop out for various reasons. I****ume that's early in the first year.

New inductees are seen a couple of times a week on average for a couple of months, then quickly space out to monthly visits.
For the first year I'll probably want to induce in the office which is very time consuming but educational and then most physicians seem to do home inductions after that. Office UDS and buprenorphine test frequency and costs seem pretty straightforward.

Thanks for the encouragement NoDrugs4u. Lots of folks smarter and braver than me have proven direct primary care works in other states, I'm shamelessly copying their good idea and hope to add to it by figuring out an ethical and sustainable way to include addiction treatment in direct primary care.

Do you or any other cash based docs here have websites with publicly posted prices?

Rockport, Maine

NoDrugs4u

Postby NoDrugs4u » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:21 am

Bravo Dr. Pierce for eschewing the insurance scam industry! I applaud you.

I am in the process of converting a traditional insurance based Family Practice office into an exclusively buprenorphine treatment business. Why? Because Physician Family Practice is dead in my area, where practically anyone with a "First Aid" course can open a "Primary Care" practice.

I charge by the month one flat fee for buprenorphine treatment. That does not include primary care service, I defer that to the patient's primary care physician. Direct pay for primary care is a whole 'nother can of worms that I don't want to get into. Best of luck with your practice!

As an aside, just read your webpage. I did a rotation in Maine during med school. My gosh it is beautiful up there. I believe we rode a sailing ship tour out of Camden. Just beautiful, fond memories. Best wishes to you.

Return to “Clinical Use of Buprenorphine”