How does one start a Half-Way House?

Buprenorphine Post
edibill

Postby edibill » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:44 pm

I don't know the answer to any of those questions. There were too many unknowns for me and we didn't participate in that program. We did get a couple of pregnant women in early recovery but none that are on buprenorphine.

Dave

Postby Dave » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:44 pm

Wow! A buprenorphine vending machine! Who would have thought that could happen in our Prohibition era redux. Has the DEA approved such machines? Do they dispense more than one pill at a time? Are the pills wrapped in fancy foil wrappers?

edibill

Postby edibill » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:44 pm

How I did it was partnered with a local well established A&D counselor that knows the discharge people from every A&D treatment center in the area, plus some, and the parole personnel from the state. She knew of the need just never had anyone with the enthusiasm and resources. We've gotten to know each other over the years as some of my sub pts go to her and it just went from there. The biggest hurdle so far was finding a house. As you might imagine, location is tricky. Residential property is cheapest but most neighborhoods don't want you there and the neighborhoods that don't care, you don't want to be there. If they can walk out the back door and buy drugs, its not a good place for a half way house. Commercial property was cost prohibitive. Isolated and out in the country is out because it needs to be close enough to the city/town so you have resources like out patient facilities, 12 step meetings, stores, temp agencies that will put your residents to work, etc. Look for "transitional" zoning so even if there are other family homes down they street, they can't kick you out and usually leasing or purchasing prices haven't risen to commercial levels. I know another A&D counselor who had many half way houses at one time and he really helped me out with information. It took about 2 months to find a decent property. Then its a matter of filling it with stuff. Not cheap. Had to buy a vehicle to haul folks around. Here's another tip. Buy minivans and not those white "treatment center vans". lol. . Insurance is much cheaper. You get a couple of less seats but save a bunch. Staff, no problem. Most A&D counselors know people in good recovery who are chomping at the bit to work in the field. I'll answer specifics if anyone wants. We've been approached with lots of different offers. One was to house pregnant women that are already on buprenorphine. They put a buprenorphine vending machine on the premises and the women get their daily doses with a swipe card. I swear!! The staff has to witness them taking their meds but never handle the medication. A van comes and picks them up every morning, keeps then in outpatient classes all day, feeds them lunch and returns them later, all tired and and with swollen ankles no doubt.

Return to “Clinical Use of Buprenorphine”