Working for Multiple Practices?

Buprenorphine Post
entjwb

Postby entjwb » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:32 am

Fish doc, it is my understanding you can only have 100 patients on Bup for addiction.

NoDrugs4u

Postby NoDrugs4u » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:32 am

Thanks Fish! I, too, use a spreadsheet to track Rx's, date, dose, etc. I have it set up to calculate how many days the Rx will last and the actual date that it should run out, too. I use paper charts in my office, so much easier than "meaningless use" EHR's. I don't keep Rx copies because the DEA only asks for a log of Rx's. I also keep a separate spreadsheet with a list of patients which are azzigned patient numbers from 1-??? listing date first seen, last seen, days elapsed since seen. This is helpful for showing total active vs inactive patients.

However, from my training and reading, I thought that DEA inspections were always unannounced? So, I would be unable to get the records from the other clinic on demand. The other issue is that the clinic wants to dispense Suboxone as well. That involves a whole 'nother category of record keeping and licensing!

So you are saying that the DEA shows up at you home (address on license) for inspections!? Doesn't it get tedious making all of those copies? (not to mention what your neighbors might think, haha)

(I wish we could post attachments in this forum, I would show you my spreadsheet templates)

fishdoc

Postby fishdoc » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:32 am

I work in 2 different bupe practices and a methadone clinic.
My DEA registration is my home address. I therefore, use use 2 part prescriptions. I take the copy home and the practice makes a photocopy to keep. If your practices uses EHR with a record of the prescriptions, you do not need a separate hard copy as the EHR is enough. Also, since the DEA does not make surprise visits, you could always pick up the copies from one location to take them to the other for the inspection.

To keep track of the numbers, I maintain a spreadsheet of patients names, visit date, number of days prescribed. The spreadsheet updates totals automatically so I always know how many active patients I have. I also keep track of brand names on same ss so I know how many patients are taking Buavail, Suboxone, or Zubsolv. My next step in the evolution of the ss is to track the dosage each patient receives so I can follow their individual progress more easily. Presently I only track the numbers of days prescribed, not the dosage.

The big problem is that both practices want all my slots. I am constantly telling each of them that they cannot schedule new patients as each has their 50 slots filled. Unfortunately, they both want more and the DEA, in its wisdom, has a cap of 100 for all locations excluding the methadone clinic where there is no limit, even when prescribing bupe.

drpasser

Postby drpasser » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:32 am

If I were you, I would check with the local DEA as well as with your liability carrier.

That's what I would do.

:-)

Return to “Clinical Use of Buprenorphine”