Working for Multiple Practices?

Buprenorphine Post
NoDrugs4u

Postby NoDrugs4u » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:32 am

I didn't make that video, but I thought it was hilarious. However, it just fed my fears of the intimidating DEA Storm Troopers. I like how he calls the agent Clarice, as in from 'Silence of the Lambs'!

Dave

Postby Dave » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:32 am

NoDrugs, the youtube comedy was funny. I especially liked the DEA agent's line about doctors are supposed to follow the hypocritical oath, which says they must follow orders. I don't remember hearing the agent introducing herself as "I'm from the government, and I'm here to help." This is a line that Ronald Reagan said was the scariest thing you could hear.

jmosby1469

Postby jmosby1469 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:32 am

Nice graphics on that little youtube comedy, with the fantastic little scenario altogether unlike the grown up real life experiences I've seen noted here. Keep em comin' (:-)

m_kaylor

Postby m_kaylor » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:32 am

I practice at multiple locations and do the same with a spreadsheet that I keep updated whenever I prescribe. I would love to see others' spreadsheets. would anyone be willing to share their spreadsheets? I bet they are better than my weak attempt at using google spreadsheets

jmosby1469

Postby jmosby1469 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:32 am

For what it's worth, my DEA pair were also quite cordial. They visited by appointment at one of the two clinics where I treat with Suboxone, and asked very general, non-threatening questions, which were easy for me to satisfy. They're welcome back anytime, but I imagine there can be all sorts of rumors to the contrary, no?

NoDrugs4u

Thanks again fishdoc, for sharing your experience. Wow, sounds like you lucked out with your DEA agents. I have heard horror stories. My attack cat would probably let them in and show them where the bodies are buried :-0

A video forum members might enjoy regarding DEA inspections:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSIJ1TCJ4yM&feature=youtu.be

fishdoc

Postby fishdoc » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:32 am

At my last inspection by the DEA, the agents arrived at a previously closed office address. They called me on the phone and asked if they could meet with me. I explained that in addition to practicing medicine I also sell medical malpractice insurance and that I was at the insurance office. They asked if it would be convenient for them to come see me now. I gave them the address and they came over. We talked for about an hour; they asked about copies of prescriptions, and I told them that at 1 practice we use EHR and the other has copies there. I also said I happen to have copies of the prescriptions I wrote this morning with me. The asked to see 2 of them. They did say the copies of prescriptions must be stored at the address the DEA number is ****ociated with. I said that's why I had these copies, my DEA address and license address are my home. They were satisfied with that. There was no request to see the office and they said I was good for at least another 2 years. As for DEA agents in my living room they are welcome as long as they don't mind the attack cats!

Guns a blazing? Wow the 2 agents who visited me could not have been more pleasant. Since I don't own the offices the did not expect me to have records from either one available, although I could have shown them the EHR from one office. We use Practice Fusion there.

As for copies, it just costs a little extra for prescription pads with copies. You can get 1 or 2 copies if you like.

Since I sell malpractice insurance I do have my own, but the 2 bupe practices both pay part.

The 100 patient limit does not apply to the methadone clinic, perhaps because it is a nonprofit governmental agency.

NoDrugs4u

Yes, adavid, I have my own malpractice which covers all locations. And I only have 6 patients in my office, so the new clinic will have plenty of slots to fill.

My DEA is registered to my office. (I don't want DEA agents in my living room!)

My questions again:
1. When Agent John McClane shows up at my office, guns ablazing, and demands to see ALL of my records from both practices - how do you deal with this if any of you have more than one office. Fishdoc makes a lot of copies, which I would rather avoid doing and save some trees.

2. They want to dispense from the new clinic which requires a separate license. Do any of you have two or more DEA licenses for multiple offices?

Thanks!

Dave

Postby Dave » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:32 am

Gee fishdoc, the wise DEA has no limit on patients in methadone clinics even with bupe? That really makes a lot of sense (sarcasm). So the CDC says America is steaming with an epidemic of drug addiction, while another branch of government, the DEA, says we have to limit treatment to only 100 patients per bupe doc. That is very interesting. It suggests our government wouldn't want too much recovery from illegal drug use. I suppose they think some crime is necessary to keep the jails filled.

adavid

Postby adavid » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:32 am

I have seen several Docs who maintained their DEA registration at their home. When the DEA came they ordered the docs to switch their registration to a place they practice. The DEA's contention is that they must be able to inspect the site of DEA registration and there is no point in inspecting your living room. The DEA told the docs that it is ok to practice at multiple locations just pick one to register, preferably the site where you do most of your work.

Who pays your malpractice insurance? If you pay it yourself then practicing at two locations is more acceptable. But if each location provides you with coverage you should know that they pay the same amount whether you see 50 or 100 patients. Malpractice is expensive and comprises a large percentage of what you cost them. So you can see why they are not happy to split your services.

Return to “Clinical Use of Buprenorphine”