modafanil ok to use?

Buprenorphine Post
deegee

Postby deegee » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:06 pm

I may try it. has anyone here used in for w/d symptoms?

m_kaylor

Postby m_kaylor » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:06 pm

It comes in 100 mg and 200 mg doses. Once a day dosing. Those patients that have used it say they don't feel wired or amped simply "awake." Seems to be drug of choice among ER physicians, residents and police officers who switch shifts frequently.

deegee

Postby deegee » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:06 pm

Sorry I was not more clear. adavid explained what I meant. It's odd to have to think about the legality of what we do....
I think it might be very helpful for those who have terrible fatigue during the tapering process from buprenorphine. Presumably, anyone who is tapering has had a successful period of recovery and is now preparing to go through life without buprenorphine. The process, although not necessarily terrible, still can have some w/d symptoms. This is where I'd like to consider the use of modafanil and was wondering if anyone has used it.
If not, any other thoughts on meds that are helpful for fatigue during a taper?
re: modafanil, although it is a "stimulant" I never got the sense it was highly abused, which is why I think it might be appropriate, but I follow NoDrugs4U reasoning.
Still, if it allows me to get a stable patient successfully off of buprenorphine then I think it might be a good option. Any tips on dosing from those who have rx'ed it?

adavid

Postby adavid » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:06 pm

It may be illegal because it is illegal to maintain a known addict on a habit forming drug. Modafinil (Provigil) is a schedule IV drug and "dependence and abuse" is listed on the Package Insert. But I am not a lawyer.

NoDrugs4u

Postby NoDrugs4u » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:06 pm

My non-expert thoughts. I would not give a controlled substance (Provigil = CIV) to a controlled substance addict.

deegee, did you mean off-label use for Provigil, rather than illegal.

m_kaylor

Postby m_kaylor » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:06 pm

I've used modafinil in general primary care for shift work sleep disorder and fatigue due to MS, etc. It is effective and well tolerated. Usually not an option even in the insured due to cost unless they have documented narcolepsy or shift work sleep disorder.

Why would it be illegal?

Return to “Clinical Use of Buprenorphine”