marijuana/adhd

Buprenorphine Post
drpasser

Postby drpasser » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:18 am

While it may be true that lower THC is more****ociated with Indica. However, many Indicas have high THC like Sativas.

http://www.leafscience.com/2014/06/19/indica-vs-sativa-understanding-differences.

The different strains are bred for high or low levels of the various compounds, There are many other compounds in Cannabis, we know little about b/c it's difficult to conduct studies on a Schedule 1 drug.

I was in Colorado last week. There are popular strains high in THC contained in both varieties, Sativa or Indica.

Then, there are different stores which are not Cannabis Distributors, which sell some of the tinctures and non-psychoactive compounds, like CBD.

BTW-the "helpers" at the Cannabis stores are known as Bud Tenders :-)

:-)

compchat57

Postby compchat57 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:18 am

Why do my posts say "Not Moderated" on them ? Does that mean the posts are actually moderated to fit some arbitrary critera for scientific rigor ?

compchat57

@drpasser,

Cannibis with little to no THC is generally of the Indica variety. In general Sativa has a higher level of THC comparitively speaking.

The NO THC cannabis is almost always of the Indica Variety or a genetic hybrid. The high THC cannabis is almost always Sativa Variety or a different genetic hybrid. It almost never happens that Indica is high in THC. I know quite alot about this because some of my patients come to me for cannabis recommendations.

Hope this helps and am happy to answer any questions on cannabis.

So, @Drpasser, it just IS true.

Please see:
http://www.leafscience.com/2014/10/15/highest-cbd-strains/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_indica
Edited by - compchat57 on 03/07/2016 00:29:45

compchat57

@drpasser,

Marijuana with little to no THC is generally of the Indica variety. In general Sativa has a higher level of THC comparitively speaking.

The NO THC cannabis is almost always of the Indica Variety or a genetic hybrid. The high THC cannabis is almost always Sativa Variety or a different genetic hybrid. It almost never happens that Indica is high in THC. I know quite alot about this because some of my patients come to me for cannabis recommendations.

Hope this helps and am happy to answer any questions on cannabis.

So, @Drpasser, it just IS true.

Please see:
http://www.leafscience.com/2014/10/15/highest-cbd-strains/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_indica

robertsonjon

Postby robertsonjon » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:18 am

Right, but there are varieties of indica that contain low THC, here in Michigan, that is very popular for people who use marijuana for migraines or seizure disorders especially.

Not all Indicas are like this, they have to be bred specifically for the purpose of removing much of the THC. I've seen people often use the low THC strains of marijuana to treat attention problems. Especially if they have insomnia worsened by stimulants.

quote:
Originally posted by drpasser

It is just not true, that Cannabis Indica has low levels of THC.

CBD, or Cannibidiol, is a different ingredient in Cannabis. CBD is the compound which helps some kids c seizures.

CBD is less psychoactive than THC. But THC is found in both Sativa and Indica.

drpasser

It is just not true, that Cannabis Indica has low levels of THC.

CBD, or Cannibidiol, is a different ingredient in Cannabis. CBD is the compound which helps some kids c seizures.

CBD is less psychoactive than THC. But THC is found in both Sativa and Indica.

compchat57

Just a note about today's marijuana. Some of it has THC and some of it does not (or has very low THC). The no THC marijuana (Indica generally) is the kind used to treat seizures in children and some adults (anyone seen the TV shows by Dr. Gupta on that topic ?). In any case they are two very different plants. Indica is sedating and Sativa is stimulating. I've had patients with ADHD or ADD tell me that Indica has been more helpful then their prescription Adderall.

Also Steve wrote: "
"my policy is not to prescribed stimulant type meds to any patients who test positive for THC since effects of marijuana are indistinguishable from ADHD. "

A confusing statement since most psyciatrists do prescribe stimulants to treat ADHD and the statment is not accurate. Common side effects from marijuana include sedation, appetite, nausea suppression and (if it has a THC in it) a sensation of euphoria. These are not the symptoms of ADHD. Also many patients with ADHD tell me that the marijuana helps them with completing tasks and studying. Hard to believe but that seems to be a consensus.

Since Marijuana is legal in many States and Obama may legalize it before his time runs out (class II or III?) I think it's time that psychiatrists learn more about the topic and not simply condemn it without educating themselves. Oh and patients self medicate with cannabis for depression and anxiety much more then we might think. That it seems to help them without severe adverse side effects (like many psychotrophic medications) they seem to prefer it.

I'm new to prescribing bup products but for those who object to concurrent bup and cannabis I'd like to see some published studies please.

Dave

Postby Dave » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:18 am

I was not aware that THC effects resembled ADHD. If these symptoms occur only after smoking THC, then you would know it was THC. On the other hand, if she had symptoms of ADHD all the time, perhaps she does have it. You could require her to see a psychiatrist for evaluation for ADHD. Or you could tell her to stop THC and see what develops. If she simply refuses, she is not ready for OBT. Goodbye dear, come back when you are serious about your health.

drpasser

I would stick with what you think is best. If it were me, I wouldn't allow my patients to go and obtain controlled substances elsewhere.

All my pts, must initially sign a contract agreeing to not do that.

Here in Mizzippi, we have a Prescription Monitoring Program, whereby I can go online, and look up every Rx for all scheduled drugs any pt has had filled in the past year.

Best
Kevin

kcairns

Postby kcairns » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:18 am

she has made her choice...wish her well and give opening to someone who will more value your care.

Return to “Clinical Use of Buprenorphine”