Benzos and Opioids

Buprenorphine Post

Postby jdpatz » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:20 am

Good question. There is another discussion string regarding benzo/opioid detox. I'll post on both. At first, I thought that all opioid had additive sedative effect with benzos. I've come to wonder if it might be worse with buprenorphine. Here is an anectodal example: I saw a young woman recently who told me when she was opiate naive, she took a single 8 mg suboxone with 5mg of valium to get high. She had no recall of the next 18 hours. This just seems more than one would have with 5 mg of valium. In regard to detox from benzos. I first tell people that I expect both in the same way I suggest to patients that if they continue to use cocaine, marijuana, or alcohol they are likely to relapse. If they continue on benzos they are likely to relapse. I don't believe you can get the brain high on one substance and recover from another. Further, if you are taking a drug for a panic disorder, and the withdrawal symptom from the drug is a panic symptom, how do you know the difference. I have had the best success putting patient on an anticonvulsant first (like 750mg of depakote a day) then doing a rapid taper with a longer acting bzd or phenobarb. I keep them on the depakote at at least 500mg a day for a month after they come off the benzos. If I'm going to detox them as outpatients I do the benzos first then the opioids. If I'm doing it as an inpatient I do both at the same time. Granted it's pretty imperfect, especially since the urine drug screen is not interpretable for weeks following long acting benzo ingestion.

Return to “Clinical Use of Buprenorphine”