Pt. under 18 yoa

Buprenorphine Post
jimberry

Postby jimberry » Mon Nov 10, 2003 11:20 am

I would like to hear opinions and experience in treating patients under 18 with buprenorphine. Some of my colleagues think it is ideal for teens, others think it should be avoided. I've had a couple of hs-aged teens (and their parents) ask about it, but since I'm at my limit of 30 I've managed to avoid the issue so far.

Majestic-12 [Bot]

Postby Majestic-12 [Bot] » Mon Nov 10, 2003 11:20 am

Tony, unlike methadone treatment there is no federal standard relative to treatment of adolescents with Subutex, Suboxone. So, one needs to examine each state's policies and follow them as appropriate. Keeping in mind, of course, the product label.

adekker

Postby adekker » Mon Nov 10, 2003 11:20 am

Teenagers in most states are considered minor in status until age 18. Majority status is granted to those who are pregnant, married or legally emancipated. Most states grant minor consent for the big three: contraception, evaluation of sexually transmitted diseases and eval and treatment of substance abuse. Based on this I believe a minor can provide informed consent for eval and treatment of opioid dependence and BUP treatment. I would be interested in an official response from the CSAT. PS each state has there own statuatory laws...so be aware of them.
Tony Dekker, DO, USPHS, Indian Health Service, Phoenix Indian Med Center

Return to “Clinical Use of Buprenorphine”