Buprineorpine Injection???

Buprenorphine Post
robertsonjon

Postby robertsonjon » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:08 am

The one from Indivior (makers of Suboxone) will be a monthly injection, not stored in our offices, but kept at the pharmacy. The details aren't worked out yet, but I think it's supposed to be either dispensed by the pharmacy for a pt to return to the office with, or the pharmacy injects it.

mattkeene

Postby mattkeene » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:08 am

There are 3 different depots in the pipeline by Indivior, Braeburn, and BDSI. Indivior will be first to market. BDSI likely will have a more convenient delivery system but may be last to market. The biggest barrier I see (besides cost and patient willingness) is what hassle will be needed to keep a controlled depot substance on site in an outpatient environment.

MChaplin

Postby MChaplin » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:08 am

from what I read it will be available as a weekly injection and a monthly- I will try to locate the reference- it sounds like a great idea to me!

entjwb

Postby entjwb » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:08 am

It might but I would use in patients I am concerned about. Might be good for use in court ordered cases. If they were clean and life has changed in positive way for 6-12 months they might be stimulated to continue to desire a changed life. If there were a concern about diversion.

Bruni

Postby Bruni » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:08 am

Yes. I heard about it. It makes much more sense than a six month implant, but likely to cost more than the monthly prescription of Suboxone SLF.

drpasser

Postby drpasser » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:08 am

No
But that would be great!

Return to “Clinical Use of Buprenorphine”