Poppy Seeds

Buprenorphine Post
MChaplin

Postby MChaplin » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:23 am

robertsonjon- with all due respect, i am confused by your post- poppy seeds contain morphine so how does your lab distinguish between oral ingestion of poppy seeds and use of heroin?? both show up in the urine as morphine. i beleive the claim by your lab to be able to tell the difference (to have no false positives) is either erroneous OR means that they can not guarantee there are no false negatives (by increasing cutoff to above poppy seed level- but some of those low levels ARE from prior heroin use and thus now you have false negatives).

DrBallester

Postby DrBallester » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:23 am

Quest has a nice webinar discussion, it is free

DrBranton

Postby DrBranton » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:23 am

6-MAM equals Heroin period.

DrB

drpasser

Postby drpasser » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:23 am

I had a pt die from OD on poppy seeds. He was a baker. He made a tea of sorts, with one lb of seeds and drank it.

It's pos for OPI 300 test.

robertsonjon

Postby robertsonjon » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:23 am

You have to ask the company that you do the testing through. I send mine to a lab, and poppy seeds will not give false positives from my lab.

Bruni

Postby Bruni » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:23 am

"Opiate screening cutoff levels for DHHS were changed from 300 ng/mL to 2000 ng/mL of morphine in December 1998 to avoid false-positive results from poppy-seed ingestion. However, the sensitivity for detecting true opiate use can be a concern, and most clinical laboratories continue to use the lower cutoff. Positive results for heroin abuse are caused by use of prescribed opiates, such as codeine and hydrocodone; however, ingestion of modest amounts of poppy seeds has been known to cause a positive result from urinalysis. Ingestion of poppy-seed cookies (containing about 1 teaspoon of poppy-seed filling available commercially in the United States for baking) produced positive results for opiates within 2 hours of ingestion among 5 patients. Codeine was also found in a concentration of 20 ng/mL in 2 samples 2 hours after ingestion. Urine samples analyzed after 24 hours were negative for opiates. Similar results were seen in another analysis in which consumption of poppy-seed bagels produced positive results for codeine and morphine up to 25 hours after ingestion. A single bagel was estimated to contain 1.5 mg of morphine and 0.1 mg of codeine. Similar results were observed in other analyses with slight variations ranging from 1 hour for earliest detection of morphine to 60 hours for the latest detection."
[Moeller KE, Lee KC, Kissack JC. Urine drug screening: practical guide for clinicians. Mayo Clin Proc. 2008 Jan;83(1):6676.]

MChaplin

Postby MChaplin » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:23 am

that is heroin- poppy seeds shows up as morphine- because they have morphine in them- heroin is diacetylmorphine which is broken down very rapidly to 6 monoacetylmorphine (6MAM) which is broken down fairly quickly- 6-12 hours to morphine- SO if she is morphine postive you can't be sure- but if you have 6MAM- you have heroin- because that is a one way pathway....of note, codeine is broken down into morphine so it is possible to take prescribed codeine and end up with morphine in your urine.

fishdoc

Postby fishdoc » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:23 am

Previously, I had a patient who consumed 5 POUNDS of poppy seeds daily for his addiction. His UDS was positive for morphine and other metabolites of morphine. There was no 6-MAM, nor should there have been. 6-Monoacetylmorphine is one of three active metabolites of heroin, the others being morphine and the much less active 3-monoacetylmorphine. It is short eating, but proof that heroin was used. on the other hand, 1 bagel or poppy seed pastry consumed the day of a UDS can cause be positive for both morphine at low levels (<5000 ng/ml) and codeine.

kcairns

Postby kcairns » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:23 am

would not be deterred by initial test or try to solve, , just tell her no more poppy seeds

Return to “Clinical Use of Buprenorphine”